St. Michael’s High School, located at Digha Ghat in Patna, is a Catholic Missionary educational instition, founded in 1858, by the first Bishop of Patna, Dr. Anastasius Hartmann (of the Franciscan (Capuchin) Missionary Society). Begun as a boarding school for poor and orphan boys under the Catholic Chruch at Kurji, the School has witnessed tremendous growth in terms of strength of students on its rolls, and physical infrastructure. With over 3000 students (both boys and girls) on its rolls today, the school is poised for further growth as it moves into the 155th year of its founding.
St. Michael’s has made several steps in its growth. In 1894, the management of the School was handed over to the Irish Christian Brothers, well-known for their all-round education to students particularly through boarding and hostels. It became a high school, and sent up the first batch of four students to high school examination in 1896. By the time St. Michael’s High School celebrated its Centenary(1958), it had become an outstanding institution in Bihar, both in the field of academics and in co-curricular activities.
Since 1968, the School is managed by the Patna Jesuit Society, the Bihar provincial unit of the world-wide Catholic missionary organization called the Society of Jesus (Jesuit Society). Founded in 1540 by St. Ignatius of Loyola, the Society of Jesus has been active in the field of education throughout the world since its origin. In India, the Society of Jesus is presently running some 270 schools (Primary, middle and high), 80 higher secondary/Inter-colleges, 45 degree colleges catering to some 360,000 students belonging to different social classes, communities and linguistic groups, through the medium of ten regional languages and English.
St. Michael’s High School is a Minority Charitable Institution affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education for the All India Secondary School Examination (Class X) and the All India Senior School Certificate Examination (Class XII).